Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cheap and Easy Crafts to Decorate Your Kids Room

If you are like me and have a hard time decorating your kids room check out some of these ideas that you can do fast and cheap to personalize your kids room.

Kaleb's Room (my son)

 Instead of coming up with a theme and trying to match everything perfectly I decided to go with colors instead.
Bumper Pads - Green gingham (consignment sale for $10)
Mobile - Jungle animals (Kmart $25)
Dressers - hand me downs from our parents (Spray painted - I removed the hardware and sprayed the  drawers a different color than the base, and then the hardware the color of the base.  I think I used  3 cans of green and 2 of white for two dressers)
Art - I had some square canvas laying around and I just painted them solid colors, you can also cover canvas with fabric or scrapbook paper for a design.
Lamp - I purchased a plain lamp from Ross for about $5 and painted it orange, and then hot glued buttons onto the lamp shade.



 Shelves - Walmart ($25) and colored canvas bins ( Kmart $3)  The bins add some more colored squares to the room.
 Name - You can find wooden letters just about anywhere.  I am not sure where these came from, because someone bought them for me.  Some places to try are Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Joanns.  I love them because you can decorate them however you want.  Some ideas: use Mod Podge and scrapbook paper, or paint them. 



Zayne's Room



 Chore Chart- If your kids are anything like mine, they work best with a game plan.  This is really simple and mine isn't all that great because it needed to be done quickly.  It is a frame from the thrift store, scrapbook paper, a dry erase marker and a magnetic strip.  I wrote on the scrapbook paper the square and the chore, and framed it, and then applied a magnet on the back of the marker and on the frame.  Decorate the frame using anything such as puzzle pieces, glitter, decoupage items, paint, buttons, or whatever fits your child's room decor.
 Light Switch Plate -  I love this because it is just easy added art.  It would look a lot better if my light switch plate was white, but I used what I had.  Use Mod Podge and cover the light switch plate with scrapbook paper, and cutting out holes, using a craft knife works the best.



 Name - Again she has her name in her room.  I spent some time hand painting these several years ago.  So decoupage something on them and make it fast.  These letters are close to a foot in height.  They came from Hobby Lobby and I think we paid $1.50-2 a letter...on sale of course.  Look for those sales though.

 Dresser - This dresser was mine when I was a kid...so it has been around.  My mom painted it for me, and I had stickers all over it and it was rough.  It still is, but looks much better in her room.  We painted the base pink and the drawers purple and the hardware came from Hobby Lobby (again, on Sale)  which as you can tell we still need 3 more.  The one thing about buying from Hobby Lobby is they might not always have the amount you need, and they may not ever get them.  So Good Luck!

 Are you liking all the pinks and purples yet?
Art - This piece is just a Dollar Tree puzzle, I worked and glued, and then framed.  The frame came from a thrift store and then I painted the frame.  You can do this with any kind of puzzle.

 Zayne painted this, we bought the art unpainted at the Dollar Tree and I squirted the colors onto a plate and she painted it.  You can also find unpainted items at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.


Curtain - I love this.  I purchased a curtain rod...any cheap one will do, and then several colors of ribbon...get it on sale...and cut strips the length you want them, and fold over the top about 1 1/2 inch and sew it then slide them on the curtain rod.  Super cute....and girly.

Just Some More Ideas
 My niece Madison, (9 year old) was having a birthday and her parents were remodeling her room.  She was a princess kind of girl, but now she wants animals.  Her walls are purple and the trim is sort of a lime green.  This was the art that I made for her.
Art - Top - Thrift store frame painted (All Things Possible...Bargain Center is the best for cheap frames), scrapbook paper (Hobby Lobby and Michaels have the best selection) and purple buttons.  I used craft glue to put the buttons on. 

Bottom - I used paw print scrapbook paper and used paint to add the colored ones, I tried a stencil...but stencils and I do not get along, so I free handed the paws.  I then added ribbon with hot glue to the top and bottom to add something to the frame (also a 0.99 frame from the thrift store).

 Art - This is Zayne's art they framed at school, but wouldn't be hard to do at home.  They took her picture and matted it to a piece of large construction paper, but you could use poster board, then laminate it.  If you are like me and don't have access or money to laminate it, use clear contact paper (usually can be found at Walmart in the craft section or with the shelf liners in the kitchen area)
 Storage - Use everyday containers and decorate them using scrapbook paper or paint.  This is a metal tin I purchased at a thrift store for $0.50 and I use it in my craft room for buttons, obviously.
Art Display - As you can tell we are big with our artistic abilities, and we encourage the kids to be artistic.  So instead of having 500 pictures on my fridge we display them in the play room.  We nailed two pieces of clothesline down the wall and use clothespins to hold them.  Make is prettier and use colored clothespins, or decorate your own using Mod Podge and scrapbook paper...or glue thing to them like puzzle pieces, flowers, or buttons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment